Tactical decision Abbotsbury 02/11/12

After spending the Saturday night and Sunday morning down Cogdon targeting sole and plaice but getting nothing other then 60 odd whiting plenty of pout and dog fish I had a good long think of what to do to better my chances on the Monday and to make better use of my day off !

I set off in the morning for Abbotsbury wondering if it was really a good idea going after cod with the calm conditions or should I just try for plaice again.So i pulled over and called a mate and some how we come up with the idea that I should walk miles past the dragoons teeth at Abbotsbury to get away from the whiting and I would stand a chance of cod or plaice here....

So after a good 50 minute walk I made it to my old plaice mark but noticed the water wasn't as clear as i expected So I was out with the cod rigs ' 4/0 droppers and a standard  4/0 clip down .The baits I had were fresh blacks, yellow tails and rag but I wasn't feeling that confident with the worm baits as most fish have been taking peeler crabs of late

But as the yellow tails were really big and juicy I decided to tip off the fresh blacks with them and within an hour I had my first slack line on the clip down rig resulting in a 4lbs 9oz cod this was about an hour before low for the next two hours I didn't see a bite not even whiting 'thankfully' in fact the only thing I could see was a trawler going round in circles about a mile out in front of me .........

With this trawler in clear line of sight I knew the game was up but carried on regardless hoping one more would get through but Nooooo. one didn't find its way through can you believe it ....TWO got through and they both found my dropper  pennel hook set up at the same time , and there is nothing like seeing a double shot of cod coming out of the surf to wake you up !!! The small one was 4lbs 1oz and the second was 5lbs 8oz and this made the long walk seem very justified




The sun was now going down when I had a really good rattle ,this time it was a double shot of dog fish and bass .Then the whiting finally found me and they were hitting my bait every 5 minutes but they were all good in size so I kept a couple. To finish the session off nicely I messed up my last cast but left it short anyway and landed the biggest cod the day at 6lbs 8oz happy days !!!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INTRODUCTION

Catch Up Report !!

Plaice Aplenty ,April 2017