Abbotsbury 24/01/15

I Finally had the chance to get on the beach this weekend and with sun forecast all day I decided to make an early start. But this did mean I would be fishing the tide down on arrival however my confidence was sky high as a mate text me when I was leaving home to say they had a codling each on there first casts. An hour later and I was with them and  they had set up close to the car park so my plan of a long walk past the teeth was soon forgotten and to my surprise the sea was of a dark chocolate colour perfect for cod fishing .I made 4 rigs up the night before 2 pulley pennel 4/0 and 2 dropper wishbone rigs and kept one rod to the pulleys and the other the wishbones. Baits were blow lug and fresh dungy,by the time I was fishing it was high water and from the off I was getting little rattles these were all on the dropper rig which always works better when the sea water is dirty. As for the rattles they were poor cod , dogfish,whiting and plenty of them .It wasn't until 3 hours after high water when i noticed my line was running down the beach ! so reeled in the slack line and couldn't feel much on the end . But as I got it to within 10 yards from the shore it really started to kick ,then I knew I had my first codling on board and it wasn't to bad either around  3lbs 6oz


This was a nice surprise as I was not expecting much until after low water when the tide started to run and as it turned out not much happened until then , with just a few more whiting and poor cod showing .But after low water the chap next to me had 3 codling in a row and I had 3 drop backs in a row but only manged to connect with one of them and then managed a final codling just before dark .As for darkness it self I didn't have anything until high water when the dog fish and whiting moved in .


During the day I seen about 20 codling come out from 6 anglers so plenty still around and hopefully they hang about through February and march which would keep us entertained until the plaice arrive !!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INTRODUCTION

Catch Up Report !!

Plaice Aplenty ,April 2017